9 Things I’ve Learnt From A Level 39 Pokemon GO Player
A truly hardcore Pokemon go player has showed up for an interview with pokegohub.net.
His name is Jimmie Pitts, from Buffalo, New York. Quite possibly he is the first player who reached level 39, a level that is light years away from the average players.
Here are 9 things I’ve learnt from the interview:
1. Spending money on game is OK, and there is nothing wrong about it. Few days back, when a player was sharing he spent $180 on lures and incubators, other players commented that he is a whale, wasteful and don’t understand the value of money. On the other hand, people are happily splurging thousand of dollars on designer bags, holiday travel and etc.
When asked, they said “YouOnlyLiveOnce.”
What logic is that???
Everyone has their own version of escapism, don’t frown when it doesn’t match yours.
Eh… I have to ask you this. How much did you spend / are spending in game?
I spend like 80 dollars per week. I think I’ve spent around 700 dollars on the game so far. Everyone seems to mind that question, but I spent over 3-4 grand through all the years I’ve played MapleStory – spending money on games isn’t new to me.
Yeah, I wasnt sure if you’re comfortable with the question. Now that I know you are… what do you buy mostly? 🙂
No, it’s all good. Money is money, I enjoy spending it on the game. I buy Lures, Lucky Eggs and Incubators.
2. He maximized his XP per catch by hitting high consistency of Great shot with a Curve Ball, with correct technique and practice he was able to get 9.5/10 time. Excellent rating is not worth the try as it is too hard to get high consistency in order to be viable.
Do you have a special tactic for exp gain? How long do you play per day?
No, nothing special, but I was the first person in my area to focus on maximizing experience from capturing. I popularized the tactic in Buffalo that focuses on getting Great shot with a Curve ball. It’s the most consistent shot bonus you can get, getting excellent rating was too hard and inconsistent to be viable.
Honestly, I just put in a lot of hours and focus. I could probably level faster by walking and hatching eggs, but I have very weak feet and can’t walk for long periods at all.
3. Your lifestyle has to be adjusted to create hours for the grind. Your sleep hours have to be minimized, working hours have to be flexible to meet 10 hours of training per day and 15 hours for the weekend. Again, it is about trade-off. You can’t get everything without letting go something.
I minimized my sleep schedule to 4 hours a night max. I work from 08:00 – 11:00 AM everyday, grind from 12:00 – 19:00 PM, then go back to work 19:30 – 22:00, and then back to grinding again from 22:30 – 04:00. I shoot for 10 hours per work day, and 15 hours per day on weekends.”
4. You don’t need a special place where it has crazy spawn or amazing Pokestop loops. In fact, his place doesn’t have a loop and he can’t walk a lot as he has weak feet. Partly is determination and great community with players motivating and helping one another (more to that).
Why do you play as a girl and how come is your Jogger stat so low?
The place I play isn’t a loop and it has very little to no shade, so walking is not a popular option. And I have very weak feet. It’s a straight line, so you sit in the middle and walk 3 feet left or right depending on which Poke Stop your trying to hit. Some people in my area have hatched over 1400 eggs, so there truly is different styles of play.
Is there something is special about the Buffalo area? Crazy spawns, rares, etc?
Nah man, if anything it’s kinda dry. If you travel up to Niagara Falls, which is close to Buffalo, then you may come across better spawns. To be honest, I never cared about any of that, because I knew I would grind so much I’ll eventually hatch everything in Pokedex. I’m hoping that I’ll get everything I need eventually, mostly through spawn changes.
5. Life is all about trade-off. Despite accumulating 15 million XP, hatched over 700 eggs. Jimmy still hasn’t completed his Pokedex with only 136 / 148 Pokedex score. What gains on the higher XP comes at the expenses of missing rare Pokemon.
Speaking of that, what’s your Pokedex score?
It’s 136, but I never pursued filling my Pokedex. I rather focus on grinding and not waste travel time. I need Pokemon like Charizard, Kabutops, Omastar…
6. Video games are not all that bad, it cultivates discipline. His ability for long hour grind does not come overnight, he played all sort of video games in the past which built his discipline and finding method for maximizing XP.
Without the gaming experience he had, unlikely he had the discipline for the high level grind and possibly the first player to attain level 39.
Well, I have been a hardcore video game player my whole life, grew up playing every video game under the sun. I noticed years back, when I used to play MapleStory, a MMO RPG, that I was particularly good at leveling up quickly and not getting bored with the grind. So, when Pokemon GO came out and I realized that all you really need to do is level up, it was easy for me to do.
7. He is not afraid of someone beating him.
Um no, because I never wanted to be the best. I just wanted to be strong and be the strongest out of my friends. It just so happened my friends went super hard early on and that pushed me to play more.
8. Grind is not all that bad and it can be enjoyable when you have a great community helping and motivating one another.
Whats left for you to do? Are you still having fun playing the game?
Dude, yeah, I still love the game, but more than anything I love the crew I grind with everyday and night. It’s just amazing, we laugh together all day long. We became so close just by spending countless hours together grinding until 04 – 05 AM. There’s like 20 of us who come out everyday and just have a great time and that number is always growing.
For some reason I enjoy grinding for experience, but it’s the people that I truly play for. When I get to 40, if Niantic doesn’t mind I’d like to start a Mystic and Valor account, just so I can help every team and go on gym raids with whoever I want, whenever I want.
Agreed! You care a lot for community?
Hahaha, of course dude, I’ve played so many games where the community is bad and toxic. This game just brought amazing people into my life. I try to teach lower level players how to maximize exp and how to do skill shots like curveball great throws ALLLL the time. Grinding every night until 05:00 AM alone wouldn’t be fun or possible-
Quick one for the end: trainer battles or trading?
Umm trainer battles, would be more exciting for the community as a whole.
9. There are male players who enjoy picking game character of the opposite sex. So don’t get over excited when Trading system is released.
And I like to play as a girl because honestly they just look cooler that’s all
And don’t forget to LIKE my Facebook page below if you haven’t!